Monday, January 23, 2012

Week #4 2012 - Jan 23-29

Last week of running before PHS track season gets started.

Mon 1/23 - Ran for 67 minutes in cold and wind.  Went a totally new route through the back roads of north CL.  Made it to Ridgewood Church before having to turn back so I wouldn't get stuck in the country with no sun light.  Good run, nothing blazing, but pushed a bit in the way back.  Just getting in the miles. Temp - mid 20's.  (call it 10 miles)

Tue 1/24 - Didn't have a plan for the day but wanted to test myself somehow.  Jogged out to the track and was surprised to see it clear of snow so decided to take a few laps.  First mile around school and to track was easy (maybe 8:00), once on track gradually picked it up.  As I got going I decided to keep upping the tempo, went 6:21, 6:01, then 5:31.  During this mile I thought about attempting a sub 5:00 mile. 

Last winter I started the year out trying/planning to run one really hard mile effort each week.  Lasted about 2-3 weeks until my foot got sore and the weather got horrible with the big blizzard.  As I was running my 5:31 I considered stopping a couple minutes and stretching, but opted to keep plugging away without a break.  Hit the 400 in :75 (thinking..."oh great, I can't slow), 800m in 2:29, 1200m in 4:43, and finished mile five in 4:56.

This was really the first hard effort I've attempting in the 4-5 weeks I've been back running.  And it did hurt worse than I had hoped.  But it is a starting point.  A reference I can now use and build upon.  We all start somewhere each season and until you really try pushing yourself it's hard to know what kind of shape your in.

After the 4:56 I added two more mile at 6:10ish pace and then ran a relaxed 4 miles with Coach Quick. Temp - low 30's. (11 miles)

Wed 1/25 - Easy 3 miles.  Drills.  16x 100m intro to speed (:16-17 sec - 4:20ish +/-).  2 miles easy.  (6 miles)

Thur 1/26 - Easy 6 miles. Drills. 4x strider on turf.  3 mile tempo on track at 5:27, 5:24, 5:19.  Had no set time going in, just went by feel.  Definitely got tough, but no too bad.  Easy 2 miles for cool-down. (11 miles) 

Fri 1/27 - 6 miles steady.  3x Extreme Core Routine (10-12 min approx each set...maybe another mile of running).  Half mile cool-down.  (7.5 miles)

Sat 1/28 - Hit the streets of CL for an evening steady state run.  53 min.  (8 miles)

Sun 1/29 - Took a day off.  Not planned, but spent the day with the kids and didn't get a good time to go out.  Probably not the worse thing after putting in some harder efforts for the first time in a long, long time. 

Total Miles for week - 53 miles.  Had hoped to get up to 60 and likely would have if not for the day off.  Plan to top 60 for sure this coming week along with some harder efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment