Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A New Year...A New Plan

Like most, I make a resolution or two for myself to start the new year.  And like most they often start well, but fizzle as time drags on.  This year I made a resolution to rededicate myself to my own running and attempt to get into really great running shape.  Many of my friends laugh when I say I'm not in great running shape, but any highly competitive runner understands the difference in being in shape vs. being in SHAPE.  I want to once again get into SHAPE.  To help motivate myself to stay on track and monitor (log) my training/running I have decided to start a blog and write about my running, using it for a way to track my miles and vent about the trials and tribulations of distance running.  The good, the bad, and hopefully the glorious.

It's been over ten years since my college running days (the glory years for most) and I still feel the fire to accomplish great things.  While many of my teammates and fellow competitors have moved on from competitive running (aside from the occasional 10k or marathon, often used to slim a swelling waistline) I still have the urge to train hard and accomplish greatness.  Maybe it's unfulfilled dreams, maybe it's watching my athletes, or former college competitors still tearing up the road, track and trails in their mid-30's (a number of my college competitors will be running next Saturdays' US Marathon Olympic Trials), or maybe it's simply the love I have for the sport and what can be accomplished.  Whatever it is, there is nothing better than seeing the results of a lot of hard work. 

I know this challenge to myself will not be easy.  Working full-time, the demands of coaching a great team, and spending quality time with my wonderful wife and two (soon to be three in May) children will be first and foremost, but I believe if I dedicate myself it can be done. 

Feel free to follow my adventure if you like.  I don't have a plan for what and when I will write and I'm not sure where it will take me, but I have high hopes.  Later

Parksey

No comments:

Post a Comment